How to make your videos more effective
Too often, companies are not making the most of the opportunities that video advertising offers, especially when it comes to digital marketing, including the use of video for marketing for mobile devices.
Here are some tips on how you can make your videos more effective:
- Test autoplay vs. press play. Usability guidelines advise against autoplay as it can annoy potential customers and make them click the back button. However, it can also increase conversions. To measure the impact both have on conversion rates and the impression of your brand and then decide which one is best for your customers.
- Add a call to action (CTA) to your video. This can either be permanently visible, be shown at strategic times throughout the video or be presented at the end. Again, test what works best for you and your customers.
- Try out both short and long versions of the video to see what suits your customer’s requirements. Some products may need a more detailed video, while others may only need a short like a commercial.
- Use directional cues within the video to point your visitors at your landing page’s conversion goal. This can be a physical action, such as a person pointing or verbal instruction.
- Write a script before recording your video. This will help your video flow more smoothly.
- If you are demonstrating an online product, try recording the screencast first, then overlay audio afterwards. This gives you more opportunities to make it sound professional. Using an external microphone is also a good idea.
- Add your video to YouTube or Vimeo and optimize it for SEO. According to some sources, video is 52 times more likely to show up on page one of a Google search than a text article. Certainly, Google's algorithms currently seem to favour those that publish original video content.
- Put two similar versions of the same video up on your site and poll your visitors to see which they prefer.
- Make full use of the metrics that are available to you, so that you can customize your videos to better your customer’s experiences.
- Online digital video ads that incorporate better data result, not only in greater online engagement, but they can also help drive offline sales.
What tools do you use for creating videos?