5 Ways to Encourage Employee Excellence
Did you know, that the vast majority of small businesses are one-man shows?
And, it’s no wonder. Managing employees can be a challenge. You’ve undoubtedly heard many horror stories about late, rude, or lazy employees. But, just because those are the stories that get circulated, doesn’t mean all (or even most) employees are inadequate.
Good management often makes all the difference between having poor, satisfactory, and phenomenal employees. Here are some ideas for encouraging employee excellence:
- Build a culture of productivity. From the moment you first interview a candidate, they should understand your expectations. Whether your culture is a high-stress, strict regime, or a laid back, go with the flowing atmosphere…be sure your employees truly comprehend that you value and expect productivity.
- Offer incentives. Even the most dedicated and self-motivated worker needs an external incentive on occasion. Think of an incentive (such as Employee of the Month, or additional bonuses) that you can consistently offer.
- Have employees learn the mission statement. Make sure your staff is aware of the company’s purpose. When the entire company is united in a common purpose, more work gets done.
- Give your employees a chance to grow. Too many business owners are tempted to do it all themselves. Relinquish your tight hold on the company and give your employees a chance to solve problems, try new ideas and put their own thoughts and ideas to the test.
- Practice “lavish praise and quick corrections.” One of my favourite books is The One-Minute Manager. You should read it. The essence of it is to catch people doing well and point it out to them. But you also have to quickly correct and reprimand when you see something outside of what you expect.
Whether you have 1 employee or 50, these suggestions will ensure a productive workplace and employee satisfaction.